This soup is a star because of its beautiful rich bright color and so healthy, perfect for all occasions. When you use a food processor it is fast and very easy. This soup is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and delicious. This soup is similar to the classic French potato leek soup with the addition of carrots and ginger, this is absolutely delicious.
Creamy Carrot Leek and Ginger Soup
- 6-7 cups broth
- 2 pounds leeks (about 3 large), white and pale green parts only, chopped
- 2 pounds 2 carrots , peeled and trimmed, cut into cubes
- 1 large potatoes or sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cream *optional yogurt, sour cream, or coconut cream
- parsley or chives for garnish, along with a few carrot pieces
*The smaller you cut the vegetables, the quicker your soup will cook, with the help of a food processor this will only take minutes. . In a large saucepan, saute vegetables in the butter or oil for about 15 minutes. Add the broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
Let cool slightly (very important not to try to blend while hot), and puree in the blender or food processor. Using an immersion blender makes this fast and easy. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Reheat the soup. Ladle the soup into bowls, and swirl a spoonful of the cream in the center of each bowl. Garnish with the basil leaves and serve hot.